- Guidance from the Federation of State Medical Boards on Physician Impairment [PDF] In this 2011 policy statement document, the Federation of State Medical Boards provides guidance to state medical boards for how to include Physician Health Programs in their efforts to protect the public. It represents a vision for medical boards to effectively assist impaired licensees as well as those with potentially impairing illness based on best practices.
- Federation of State Physician Health Programs Physician Health Program Guidelines [PDF] (December, 2005 Edition) The sections of this 29-page guideline document are:
- General Guidelines
- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Management of Other Psychiatric Disorders
- Treatment Programs
- Finding Meaning in Medicine: Guideline for Forming Support Groups, Rachel Naomi Remen, MD. A “starter kit” for how to begin a FMM group is available from the Institute for the Study of Health and Illness (ISHI) website. [Choose “All Healthcare Professionals” then choose “Start Your Own Support Group.”] Groups tend to grow organically, using these guidelines.